Learn how an energy audit can help save you money, improve comfort in your home, make sure your family is safe, and more. Eco Ed’s energy bills actually generate cash. The first step is getting an energy audit if you would like the same for your home or building.
Simply put, an energy audit is the analysis of a building’s energy efficiency using professional equipment, such as blower doors and infra-red camera, to suggest the best ways to improve energy efficiency.
Advantage of an Energy Audit
1) Reducing your Carbon Footprint. Lowering use of electricity and fossil fuels can reduce your carbon footprint significantly. This also minimizes our reliance on foreign energy, and pollution sources required with those fuels. We all need to do our part to be more friendly to the planet on which we live!
2) Reduce energy bill – using building science and sophisticated diagnostic tools to target where your home or building is wasting energy.
3) Putting cash in your pocket! In addition to utility savings, using properly certified auditors also gives you access to significant rebates and incentives offered by the State and Federal governments.
4) Make your home or building healthier and safer -Indoor Air Quality and health/safety of the occupants is always paramount. An energy audit always keeps an eye out for contaminants and conditions that can adversely affect Indoor Air Quality. This includes checking for carbon monoxide, asbestos, gas leaks, making sure your furnace is running properly, looking for mold and controlling moisture movement, analyzing vents for proper drafting, and more. In addition, auditors can show how to remove allergens from your home and improve air quality.
5) Improving comfort. Reducing temperature and humidity swings to save energy results in higher comfort levels.
6) Identifying opportunities to adopt renewable energy sources, like solar panels, geothermal, or other high efficiency solutions.
7) Bringing older or Historic buildings up to today’s efficiency and comfort standards. Too often people settle for what they have been conditioned to accept, but beautiful old homes should not come with the burden of expense and discomfort.
8) Renovating properly. Quite often, efficiency measures are simple and cost effective when planned properly into a pending renovation. Missing this opportunity will be costly. Using sustainable and durable materials can make your home more valuable, comfortable, and environmentally friendly.
9) Minimizing insects and unwanted pests. A side benefit to properly sealing a home is that it reduces access points for insects and other pests.
How does Eco Ed’s team conduct an energy audit?
A professional, high-quality energy audit will take between three and four hours to complete. A team member begins by checking air safety & indoor air quality, because safety is the number one priority. This includes checking for gas leaks and mold throughout the building. Next, an energy analysis of your home or building will be conducted using highly sophisticated equipment, including a blower door test and an infrared camera. These valuable diagnostic tools are used to document all insulation & unwanted air infiltration.
The blower door measures the air leakage in your home or building. This is valuable because if air is coming in from the outside, then air that you are paying to heat and cool will escape from those very same openings. The infrared camera is particularly important because it shows exactly what exists within the walls (including insulation) without guessing.
Once the audit is complete, a report is generated that helps you prioritize future improvements and quantifies your savings. What sets Eco Ed’s team apart from many other companies is that they look for the most efficient way for you to spend your money – the least expensive option that provides the greatest return on your investment.
Some of the recommendations they make will include items that you can do yourself, which will be of little or no cost to you.
Eco Ed makes every effort to leave anything in your home (current insulation, heating, cooling equipment) that is providing value to you and looks to build upon it, rather than replace it. This reduces the amount of new materials needed to renovate your home, which benefits our world.
Pricing for the audit depends on size and complexity of the home (or building).
Eco Ed’s team targets all areas of your home for potential to save energy and money, improve efficiency, and make your home more comfortable. In the end, this professional energy audit provides you with clear instructions on how to make your home more sustainable and comfortable, while reducing your energy bill.
Want to learn more or prefer a video?
To read more about energy audits click here